Fresh Lentil Soup
Updated: Jan 18
...with vegetables and potatoes (carrots, celery, green and red peppers, onion, garlic).
VEGETABLE LENTIL SOUP
• 1-pound bag Lentils (cooked canned lentils are a great option too)
• 4 medium-sized potatoes
• 3 medium-sized lentils, chopped
• 1 tbsp. minced garlic
• 1 tsp. Himalayan salt
• 1 paprika
• Fresh thyme leaves
• 1 medium red tomato, diced
• 1 red bell pepper, diced
• 2 cups diced celery
• 2 cups diced carrots
• 3 quarts vegetable stock
• 2 tbsp. tomato paste
• Place lentils in boiling water. Cover and turn off the stove. Let it stand in the hot water for 15 minutes. Then drain.
• Peel and boil potatoes for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
• On medium heat, sauté the onions, garlic, tomatoes, and bell pepper with olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme for 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
• Add the celery and carrots and sauté for 10 more minutes.
• Add vegetable chicken stock, tomato paste, and lentils.
• Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 50 minutes.
• Add boiled potatoes. Simmer and cover for 10 more minutes, until the lentils and potatoes harmoniously come together and are cooked through.
• I love to drizzle a little bit of extra virgin olive oil on top.